Mobile Menu - OpenMobile Menu - Closed

Following VP Pence Visit With Walker, NC Delegation Letter, President Trump Signs Major Disaster Declaration for Guilford and Rockingham Counties

May 8, 2018
Press Release

WASHINGTON, D.C. –  U.S. Representative Mark Walker (R-N.C.) released the following statement after Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) announced that President Donald J. Trump issued a Major Disaster Declaration for the State of North Carolina triggering the release of Federal funds to help people recover from a Tornado and Severe Storms that occurred April 15, 2018:

“When a storm hit our community, we were tested. We answered with our full strength, working and seeing neighborhoods, organizations, churches and local officials together to recover, rebuild and be a resource to others. It was an honor to bring Vice President Pence to view first hand how our community stepped up bringing hope and unity in the face of hardship and devastation. When the Vice President was here, he promised the full support of the federal government, and with this declaration by FEMA, we have received it. Our efforts are not over, we remain committed to serving all of those impacted to our fullest ability.” 

The action by FEMA and President Trump follows a Vice President Mike Pence visit to the impacted areas of Greensboro, N.C. on April 20, 2018, as well as a North Carolina U.S. Congressional Delegation letter to FEMA Administrator Brock Long to support North Carolina Governor Roy Cooper’s request that the President declare a major disaster for the State of North Carolina, under Section 401 of the Robert T. Stafford Disaster Relief Act.



The declaration will allow those impacted by the storm to apply for federal assistance with FEMA. It can be read in full here.

According to the FEMA Declaration Fact Sheet:

Individuals in Guilford and Rockingham Counties can register with FEMA the following ways:

• Apply online at

• Constituents may call the registration phone number at 1-800-621-3362; those who have a speech disability or hearing loss and use TTY, should call 1-800-462-7585 directly; for those who use 711 or Video Relay Service (VRS), call 1-800-621-3362.

Any constituent who has questions or is in need of assistance is encouraged to call Walker's office at 336-333-5005.