Walker on House Passage of CARES Act Coronavirus Stimulus Bill
WASHINGTON, D.C. - U.S. Representative Mark Walker (R-N.C.) today supported the passage of H.R. 5717, the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security Act:
“Our country was just given a frustrating choice: help American families, small businesses, and healthcare workers during an unprecedented need, while caving to some pork cravings of the D.C. political class or do nothing and watch people continue to hurt. The blatant political gamesmanship and imperfections of the CARES Act should not ultimately distract us from what this legislation will do - provide hope and a lifeline to the nearly 100,000 people in North Carolina who filed for unemployment last week, the nurse at Moses Cone who is working overtime with limited supplies, and the small business owner in Asheboro doing her best to keep every employee paid. People are hurting. Ultimately, I believe this bill will lift up the people of North Carolina and put us on the path to coming back even stronger."
This legislation includes provisions to provide income for American families, support for small businesses, assistance to distressed job creators, direct funding to combat the pandemic, and ensures access to care for all Americans.
Among other things, this legislation:
- provides a one-time tax rebate check, which includes $1,200 per individual, $2,400 per couple and $500 per eligible child with reduced rates for higher-income earners above $75,000,
- expands unemployment insurance to cover gig workers, self-employed workers, and non-profit employees,
- creates a new Small Business Administration (SBA) backed loan program to assist small businesses,
- provides forgiveness for eight weeks of cash flow, rent, and utilities at 100% up to 2.5 times average monthly payroll,
- increases Medicare reimbursement rate and access to testing,
- directs $340 billion for personal protective equipment (PPE), healthcare workers and hospitals.
This legislation passed 96-0 in the U.S. Senate and by voice in the U.S. House.